Latest News from the Northern Film School
Over-60s film project premiers at Hyde Park Picture House
A series of original short films made by teams of over-60s in collaboration with filmmaking students at Leeds Beckett University will be premiered at the Hyde Park Picture House on Sunday 11 December.
Memories of the 1984-5 miners’ strike brought to life at Leeds International Film Festival
A series of short films made by South Yorkshire residents who experienced the miners’ strike of 1984 - 1985, in collaboration with the Northern Film School at Leeds Beckett University, will be premiered at the Leeds International Film Festival this month.
Leeds Beckett lecturer hosts free showing of Oscar-nominated film
Philip Robertson, Senior Lecturer in Cinematography at Leeds Beckett University’s Northern Film School, and Director of Photography for Shok, is set to host a free screening of the Oscar-nominated film.
The Northern Film School is one of the best known film and television schools in the UK, making innovative and award winning films for over 25 years. Storytelling, technical expertise and creativity, all taught by professionals, make our graduates the filmmakers of the future.
The School prides itself on:
- Practical filmmaking, with real production budgets
- Teaching staff with international film and TV credits.
- Industry partnerships, placements and collaborations.
- Specialised teaching in Producing, Directing, Screenwriting, Production Design, Cinematography, Sound, Editing and Animation.
- State of the art camera and lighting, sound, editing and post equipment.
- Industry standard studios, post-production suites, and production offices.
- Courses informed by film theory and criticism.
With its roots originating in the late 1970s in the Leeds Polytechnic Film Unit, the Northern School of Film and Television came into being in January 1990. Eventually simplifying its name to the Northern Film School and residing within the School of Film, Music and Performing Arts at Leeds Beckett University, the Northern Film School offers filmmaking awards at BA (Hons), MA and PhD levels, attracting students from around the world.